Join the conspiracy

News: Catching Up With Rich Adler

Catching Up With Rich Adler

RIch Adler passed through New York a little while back after having to flee Japan due to an expired visa. Finding it pretty bizarre that he had just fully expatriated to a country as foreign as Japan, I figured it a good opportunity to catch up with him and hear from the horses mouth what the hell he’s been doing out there and what it was that caused him to uproot from Philadelphia after nearly 2 decades of pushing through the city’s streets.

RIch Adler is about as Philly as a skater can get. There are few modern skaters who display a better use of the streets and all that a city has to offer. Considering Rich’s history in Philadelphia and how integral to the Traffic family I was a bit shocked to hear that he had not only planned to leave but that he’d already up and moved to Japan, overstayed his Visa and fled back to the US. During a rare visit up to New York City, Jack Sabback and I caught up with him over at John Mehring’s house. When I showed up the two ex-roommates were deep into a nostalgic 1990’s Youtube session that had reached somewhere around the year 1998 by the time I’d shown up. With Josh Kalis killing Love Park and City Hall on the computer screen and several spent beer cans lying strewn about, it took a while to capture everyone’s attention long enough to get some solid sentences on tape. But it eventually became more fluid and Rich was soon telling us about his reasons for leaving, his life in Japan and even a possible book project he’s been working on. We ended the night with a rather unorganized viewing of Rich’s part in the “Night Prowler” video and got a little bit of insight into filming for that project.
It’s a bit long so I split it into 2 parts…...enjoy.

PART TWO WILL BE AVAILABLE IN 30 MINUTES (11pm EST)

from June 13

19 comments

That was sick, Rich Adler footage is always a treat.

1. by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on June 13 at 10:02 PM

always a meat

2. by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on June 13 at 10:17 PM

Excellent.

3. by Seastorm on June 13 at 10:51 PM

thanks for posting, it was nice to get some insight on the japanese scene

4. by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on June 14 at 12:53 PM

Great Content!

Loving his “this ain’t hair gel” comment.  I always thought it was dope that this guy seemed to drop everything to go skate street fantasy land and film shit.  100% skateboarding.  Deserves his name on a board,  it’d be big in Japan

5. by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on June 14 at 04:01 PM

japan

6. by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on June 14 at 05:46 PM

Garden of Earthly Delights is one of my favorites

7. by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on June 14 at 11:49 PM

Nice update. How did he gather the funds to live out there?

8. by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on June 15 at 12:06 AM

Beer brewing?

9. by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on June 15 at 12:06 AM

Yeah, homeboy brews his own beer in the bathtub. Sounds gross to me but I’m sure he saves a gaggle of cash.
As for the funds to live in Japan, Rich told some hilarious stories about the job he was working while in Japan….teaching English. But to include just one of these stories would’ve carried the edits into 10 minutes each at least and that starts pushing into long download times that you impatient bastards likely won’t stand for.

10. by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on June 15 at 12:47 AM

I need a copy of that book. I have a 2 year old and another boy due in August. I’m also a Bilingual Kindergarten teacher, so I’d use it in my classroom too. I’ll translate it into Spanish if Rich wants. So glad to hear from him and that he’s doing what he wants. Good times.

11. by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on June 15 at 08:01 AM

Bathtub beer huh? I’ll be sure to never drink any Adler Ale.

12. by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on June 15 at 10:03 AM

Oh shit, that’s sick Eric. Steve Brandi is staying with me in New York right now and he just got in from Paris where he was staying with Soy Panday and Vivien Feil. Apparently Rich was staying with them too for a while and Steve said he had a copy of the book with him. Apparently it’s already been printed?

13. by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on June 15 at 11:31 AM

Deshi’s “Traffic Report” is up. It’s short but the last trick is pretty bonkers.

14. by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on June 16 at 01:30 AM

You have to get that book in the store here, or you need to let us know where we can get a copy. That would be much appreciated.

15. by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on June 16 at 02:38 PM

Radler, cannonball, spazzler…..ill na na

16. by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on June 18 at 01:04 PM

did he make it back?

17. by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on June 20 at 05:26 PM

Naw, I don’t think so. Pretty sure he’s still in PA.

18. by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on June 20 at 07:08 PM

zL6vUu fdejhzrinmbb, svztzzyddkbx, [link=http://jkwsfzlonmej.com/]jkwsfzlonmej[/link], http://tfpgigpqatde.com/

19. by miobey on September 02 at 08:53 PM